Longboard Skateboarding 101: Everything You Need to Know
What is longboard skateboarding?
Longboard skateboarding is an exhilarating activity that involves riding a longer and wider skateboard known as a longboard which differs from a traditional skateboard. These boards are designed for cruising, commuting, and downhill racing, providing a smooth and stable ride. With their larger size, longboards offer more balance and control, making them perfect for beginners or those looking for a more relaxed riding experience.
Longboards also offer a unique and exciting way to commute or simply have fun while enjoying the freedom and adrenaline rush of riding on the streets. Longboard skateboarding has gained popularity among young adults, especially college students and young professionals, who are looking for an affordable and exciting way to get around or add an element of adventure to their daily lives.
Why is longboarding popular among young adults?
Longboarding has become increasingly popular among young adults for several reasons.
First, it offers an affordable and convenient way to commute. Longboards are a great alternative to traditional transportation methods like cars or public transportation. They are more cost-effective, allowing you to save money on gas or fares, and they can be easily carried on buses or trains. With a longboard, you can zip through traffic and arrive at your destination faster.
Second, longboarding is a fun and exciting activity. It provides a sense of freedom and adrenaline rush that many young adults crave. Whether you're cruising around town, exploring new neighborhoods, or participating in downhill racing, longboarding offers a thrilling experience that can spice up your daily routine.
Additionally, longboarding is a great way to stay active and fit. It is a full-body workout that engages your core, leg muscles, and coordination skills. It helps improve your balance and strengthens your muscles over time. Instead of spending hours at the gym or stuck inside doing repetitive exercises, longboarding allows you to enjoy the outdoors while getting your exercise in.
Lastly, longboarding is a social activity. It provides an opportunity to connect with like-minded individuals and join a passionate community. There are skate parks, meetups, and events where you can meet and bond with other longboarders. It's a great way to make new friends and share your love for longboarding.
Getting Started with Longboard Skateboarding
Before diving into longboard skateboarding, it's important to choose the right longboard for your needs and skill level. There are various types of longboards available, each designed for different riding styles and terrains.
Understanding the different styles of longboard skateboards
Understanding the different types of longboards is essential when choosing the right one for you. There are several factors to consider, including the type of riding you plan to do and your skill level. Here are the main types of longboards:
1. Cruisers: Cruisers are designed for casual cruising and commuting. They are typically longer and have a wider deck, providing stability and comfort. Cruisers often have softer wheels for a smooth ride and are great for beginners or those looking for a relaxed riding experience.
2. Carving boards: Carving boards are designed for smooth, flowing turns. They have a shorter wheelbase and a more responsive truck setup, allowing for easy maneuverability and quick turns. Carving boards are great for riders who enjoy cruising down hills and carving through turns.
3. Downhill boards: Downhill boards are specifically designed for high-speed racing and downhill riding. They have a longer wheelbase and a stiffer deck to provide stability and control at high speeds. Downhill boards often have wider trucks and grippier wheels to ensure a secure ride.
4. Freestyle boards: Freestyle boards are designed for performing tricks and stunts. They are usually shorter in length and have a symmetrical shape for easy maneuverability. Freestyle boards have softer wheels for better grip and shock absorption.
5. Freeride boards: Freeride boards are a versatile option that combines elements of downhill and freestyle longboards. They are designed for sliding and performing tricks while still maintaining stability at high speeds. Freeride boards typically have a symmetrical shape and a medium flex, allowing for easy maneuverability and control. They have slightly wider trucks and grippier wheels to provide stability during slides and tricks.
Choosing the Right Longboard Skateboard
Choosing the right longboard skateboard is crucial when getting started with longboard skateboarding. With so many options available, it can be overwhelming to make the right choice. Here are some factors to consider when selecting the perfect longboard skateboard for you:
1. Riding Style: Determine the type of riding style you prefer. Longboards are designed for various styles such as cruising, carving, downhill racing, or freestyle tricks. Each style requires a different type of longboard, so it's essential to know what you want to do with your board.
2. Board Length and Shape: Longboards come in different lengths and shapes, and each offers a unique riding experience. Longer boards (around 39 inches or more) are ideal for cruising and downhill racing as they provide stability and speed. Shorter boards (around 36 inches or less) are more suitable for freestyle tricks and maneuverability. As for shape, there are pintail, drop-through, and twin-tip boards, each with its own advantages and disadvantages.
3. Board Flexibility: The flexibility of the longboard is another factor to consider. Flexibility affects the board's stability, shock absorption, and responsiveness. Stiffer boards are more stable at high speeds but may feel less comfortable on rough surfaces. Softer and more flexible boards provide a smoother ride but may feel less stable at high speeds.
4. Deck Material: Longboard decks are typically made from various materials such as maple, bamboo, or carbon fiber. Maple decks are known for their durability and stiffness, while bamboo decks offer more flexibility and a lighter weight. Carbon fiber decks are the lightest and strongest, but they are also the most expensive. Consider your budget and desired performance when choosing the right deck material.
5. Trucks and Wheels: The trucks and wheels of a longboard also play a significant role in your riding experience. Trucks are the metal T-shaped components that attach the wheels to the board, while wheels determine the speed, traction, and smoothness of your ride. Different trucks and wheels offer different levels of stability, maneuverability, and grip, so make sure to research and choose the ones that suit your needs.
Top Longboard Brands in the skateboarding industry
When it comes to choosing a longboard skateboard, it's important to consider the top brands in the skateboard industry. These brands have established themselves as leaders in quality, durability, and performance. Here are some of the top brands to look out for:
- Sector 9: Sector 9 is a popular brand that offers a variety of longboards for different riding styles such as cruising, carving and downhill riding. They are known for their high-quality construction, durability, and smooth ride. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced rider, Sector 9 has a board that will suit your needs. Some of their popular models include the Sector 9 Highline Shine Longboard, and the Sector 9 Ledger Fiesta Longboard. Each model has its own unique features and is designed for specific riding styles. Do some research and see which Sector 9 longboard is the right fit for you.
- Sanford Shapes: Sanford Shapes is a relatively newer brand in the skateboard industry, but they have quickly made a name for themselves with their high-quality longboards with unique shapes and innovative designs. They are known for their attention to detail and craftsmanship, resulting in boards that not only perform well but also look great. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced rider, Sanford Shapes has a board that will catch your eye. Some of their popular longboard models include the Sanford Shapes Bolt, Sanford Shapes Stick Shift, and Sanford Shapes Checkmate. Each model has its own distinct shape and features, allowing riders to express their personal style while enjoying a smooth ride. Take a look at Sanford Shapes' lineup and find the board that speaks to you.
- Landyachtz: Landyachtz skateboards have been around for over 20 years. They are a highly respected brand in the longboarding community, known for their high-quality boards that are designed to perform well in various riding styles. They offer a wide range of longboards suitable for cruising, freestyle, and downhill racing.
One of their popular models is the Landyachtz Battle Axe Bengal Longboard, which is perfect for cruising and carving. A classic pintail shape and lowered standing platform might be the best combination out there for someone looking to pick up a board for the first time and learn to ride.
Note: There are several reputable brands in the longboard skateboarding industry that offer high-quality boards for various riding styles. Sector 9, Sanford Shapes, and Landyachtz are just a few examples of brands that have gained recognition for their craftsmanship and performance.
Longboard skateboarding offers a variety of exciting activities for everyone to enjoy. From cruising and commuting to downhill racing and freestyle tricks, there is something for everyone. However, it's important to prioritize safety at all times. Safety should always come first. Wear protective gear and ride in safe environments. Longboard skateboarding is a thrilling activity, but it's important to take the necessary precautions to ensure a fun and injury-free experience.
Ultimately, the right longboard for you will depend on your riding style, preferences, and budget. It's important to do some research and consider factors such as deck shape, size, and construction materials before making a purchase. Whether you're a college student looking for an affordable way to commute or a young professional seeking a thrilling hobby, longboard skateboarding has something to offer you. So, grab a board, hit the pavement, and enjoy the ride!
Need help deciding which skateboard is right for you?
Contact us and we will answer any questions you may have.